The qualified applicant will have an earned bachelor’s degree in education or a Seminary degree. One further requirement is a minimum of two years’ experience in Christian education, either as a staff member or as a volunteer. More detailed information regarding the position can be found in the position description on the staff biographies tab.
Individuals interested in making application should submit a letter of interest along with their resume or any other information addressing their qualifications for the position. Please submit your letter and supporting documents to:
Director of Christian Education Search Committee
Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Germantown
2385 Riverdale Rd.
Germantown, TN 38138
Qualified applicants will be invited for interviews. The position will remain open until the job is filled.
Responsible for the direction and oversight of educational ministry of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Germantown in a part-time position averaging generally 15 hours per week.
Generally, the Christian Discipleship Ministry Team with supervision by the Senior Pastor
- Guide the educational/discipleship ministries of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Germantown by serving as a staff person to the Christian Discipleship (CD) Ministry Team.
- Assist the CD Ministry Team in all aspects of providing a holistic ministry of Christian nurture by helping with the planning for the total program, with identifying leaders for various programs, and with selecting appropriate curriculum resources.
- Serve as a resource person for church school teachers and other Christian education leaders.
- Give special priority to planning for, resourcing, and training leadership in additional meetings for children, youth and adults.
- Facilitate the promotion of presbyterial and denominational programs for children and youth (summer camps, youth retreats, rallies, etc.) to leaders and parents.
- Provide for periodic training and support for teachers and leaders.
- Be informed about new methodologies and resources for Christian nurture and help the CD Ministry Team see and evaluate trends.
- Assist the CD Ministry Team in planning special educational ministries, such as church membership classes, seasonal programs (i.e., Lent and
- Help with the promotion of all educational ministries within the congregation (posters, mailings, newsletter articles, e-group postings, web information).
- Assist in providing for and promoting the church library.
Education: Degree in education or seminary degree.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience in Christian education either as staff or volunteer.
Knowledge: Has knowledge of Christian education at all levels.
Skills: Is trained and experienced in Christian education leadership and administration.
Possesses gifts for organization and coordination and demonstrates an ability to shepherd volunteers.
Is able to communicate well and relate to all persons.
Is committed to educational ministry within the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition.
Work closely with the chair of the CD Ministry Team. Attend each meeting of the CD Ministry Team. Function as a member of the church’s staff, under the supervision of the Senior Pastor.
Participates in continuing education events.
Two paid 15-hour weeks per year.
The flexibility of the DCE schedule may allow for additional time off, but it is expected that the work will be done at an earlier or later time.
Holidays: New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and following Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day. (If the DCE is called to work on a holiday, another day may be substituted.)
Sick Leave: Four days per year.
No compensation for unused sick leave at the termination of employment.
Evaluation: Generally accountable to the Christian Discipleship Ministry Team with supervision by the Senior Pastor.
The DCE will be evaluated as directed by the session.